App review: Overkill


If you have been reading my blog since its inception, you may remember this post which included a brief review of an iPhone shooting game, Archetype. Today I bring you a review of another iPhone shooter, overkill.

Firstly, this game is free, so I would advise you to try it regardless of whether you think it will appeal to you or not as you have nothing really to lose.

Secondly, this game is awesome, so you will enjoy it anyway.

The review

Overkill reminds me of the popular arcade game "Time Crisis" crossed with a classic shooting range. There is background scenery, but like a shooting range, as far as I can tell it never changes. The robot type characters that you can see in the picture above wander into view and the object of the game as with all games in this genre is to destroy them by shooting them. Sounds simple and also like there isn't much too this game, but I have actually found it bizarrely addictive. There are tonnes of guns to choose from too, but most have to be unlocked by earning money by working through levels. Guns can also be modified with items such as sights and grenade launchers.

One of the great things about this game is that it is a perfect example of a "pick up and play" shooting game. As each level is short, the game can be played in brief periods. As repetitive as the game will probably get this is probably the way that most players will choose to play it.

Unfortunately now that I have access to an iPad 2 it has once again been demonstrated to me how much better iOS games tend to be on an iPad. Although both versions are good to play, the on screen controls inevitably take up more room on the screen of the iPhone and once the game has been played on an iPad, it is hard to be fond of the iPhone version. (I also noticed the same problem when playing this game last year). However, unlike a lot of people that tend not to like playing games like this with on screen controls, I actually enjoy it.

Overall, I would suggest that you try this game. It is a perfect example of how good games can be on the iPhone and still be totally free and reinforces my belief that you could own an iOS device and never even need to pay for anything (without resorting to this). Let me know what you think of this game in the comments below!

twitter: @ibb0Nk
enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment