APP HIGHLIGHT 2: Google Translate




Back in 2008, I recall exactly what made me want to purchase my first iPhone. It was when I saw the first demonstration of the applications that would shortly be coming to the device with the upcoming ios2.0 update and I saw the "remote" app that allows you to control iTunes on a computer using your phone.

It was at this point that I realised what it was that made me want an iPhone. It was the idea that I could have a single device that could do literally anything I could ever want it to do; and whilst admittedly in practice I have used the remote app around three times in two and a half years, I have always had it on my device because I like the idea that it is there for me whenever i could care to use it.

The same could be said of the focus of this app highlight: "google translate". Although in practice it is obvious that this app will be used rarely by me personally as soon as I saw it available on the app store I just had to have it.

For those unaware of what this app is or what it does, google translate literally translates between different languages. The beauty of this app however is that it has voice recognition, you can speak into the device and it converts what you are saying into a choice of 57 different languages.

The wealth and quality of services available from google these days is staggering and it is not surprising to see that google translate works well, as usual exceeding my expectations of voice recognition software. However, I must say that there are certain words that may not be recognised, maybe uncommon words or nouns, but it is notable that if you are having trouble getting the app to recognise a certain word you can type the word instead.

Although for me this app has pretty limited use, it may be ideal for foreign language students or frequent travellers, or as a cool thing to show off to demonstrate the capabilities of your phone.

Another nice touch is that this app is completely free, so you have nothing to lose by downloading it and trying it out at the link below. At the time of writing the app is also number one on the free app to 25 list so it is clear many people are doing exactly that.Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment