How to avoid getting ripped off if you want to tether


I find it extremely annoying that even if you pay for a set amount of data to use per month with your iPhone, or iPad 3g that if you wish to share your internet connection with another device (Such as a laptop) most carriers expect you to pay an additional fee to do this.

In my opinion this isn't fair, I pay for 1gb of data to use per month and due to great WiFi coverage where I mainly use my device, I usually finish the month with around 900mb of this data still intact. However, if I wanted to tether my iPhone 4 to a laptop, I would have to pay for more data to do this and would not be allowed to use the remainder of my 1gb allowance for tethering.

Fortunately there is a jailbreak app that allows you to do this and in this post I will explain how to do this for free.

  • You will need a jailbroken iPhone. To read how to do this, read this page
  • You will need to add the source www.sinfuliphonerepo.com (If you don't know how to do this read this post
The app you will need to install is called MyWi.

  • Tap search in cydia and type in "MyWi"
  • Install "MyWi 4 cracked".
  • Allow your device to reboot and MyWi 4 should be installed.
MyWi works in much the same way as the mobile hotspot functionality in iOS 4.3 except your carrier cannot tell that you are tethering your device. This means the data used by MyWi comes out of your regular monthly data allowance. Be mindful of your monthly limit - tethering uses up data faster than you thing especially when streaming video or downloading. If you wish to do a large amount of browsing it may be a good idea to use a browser such as Opera that compresses web pages before downloading in order to conserve your data allowance.

The app is pretty easy to use, but if you have any questions feel free to ask away below!


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment